Sunday, 24 July 2016

Zvezda Stuart "Honey"

I see that Zvezda have brought out (or are bringing out) a shed load of new 1/100 Art of ataxic related AFVs thus year. So far I've seen the Tiger, M3 Medium and M3 Stuart in our local model shop, but am looking forwards to the Soviet SP a Guns and Elefant. I was disappointed to see that the Tiger was priced at £6 like the Cold War Vehicles. This doesn't make it particularly good value in my eyes when compared to the alternatives.....
Simple to build, the instructions are on the back of the box.

The model is moulded in sand coloured plastic like many of the recent additions. The boxes no longer include the stats cards. These are now available to download on line.
All the 12 parts are on a single sprue and are easy to remove with side cutters.

The lower hull is assembled first. This fits together leaving a slight gap visible behind the track units. I filled this with a bead of polystyrene cement.
The upper hull is in one piece including the very finely moulded bow mg.
The turret is made from four pieces, but Looks the part.
The completed model is tiny, but is detailed and strongly made. This AFV can be used in so many theatres of action, ii is extremely flexible.
I chose a simple finish. Vallejo Russian Green substituting for British Bronze Green. Then a Sepia wash and finally dry brushing lightened Russian Green. I went back to my old way of painting tracks, light grey with black wash followed by flesh wash to simulate rust. Finally I based it on mdf and sprayed varnish to protect it. Just a few white allied stars finished things off.
Great little model.

Battlefront Pershing - finished article

Painted in Olive Drab, before sepia wash and then lightened Olive Drab dry brushing.
The decals were from QRF. I bought a couple of sheets  for a few pounds years ago. They seem to last for ever!! The vision blocks picked out in light blue to represent reflected sky light.
The model welcomes dry rushing with Iraqi Sand as there is so much fine detail to pick out. I based the model on mdf coated in sand and painted with cheap earth brown acrylic paint. After spraying with Army Painter varnish to protect the finish, I added some static grass in patches.

There you are, ready to go and take on the Tigers and Panthers!