E-Mail:

If you enjoyed visiting this blog, please leave a comment or feel free to contact me by e-mail: timstanks@icloud.com

Search This Blog

Thursday 18 February 2021

Ideas for Playing HotT in 28mm

 Ever looked at those old Warhammer World miniatures gathering dust and wondered what you could do with them?

Ever wondered how you might have a go at playing Hordes of the Things in 28mm?

Why not put the two ideas together and come up with one solution!!


Yes, my latest "brainwave" was just this. It's not like I've already got a tabletop full of 12mm figures to finish painting, but you know what it's like when a new idea for a project comes to light!

I've always enjoyed HotT and have collected numerous 10 & 15mm armies over the years. I also have a fair few GW fantasy figures from the "Good old days". I always thought it would be fun to repurpose them for HotT, but never got around to the re-basing this would entail.


Enter the inevitable 3D printer. What if I could come up with sabot bases that would enable me to create HotT units simply by clipping the already based GW figures, into groups?

Well to be honest, it wasn't anywhere near as difficult as I thought, well not for those based on 20x20mm slotta bases anyway.


HotT units in 28mm are 60mm wide and a variety of recommended different depths - with a proviso that they can be as deep as required to accomodate the model.

So if I produce sabot bases 62mm wide I can accomodate three figures on 20x20mm bases side by side.  This works to produce all sorts of different units i.e. Hordes, Heroes, Artillery, Shooters etc.


What won't work so well will be those figures on 25x25mm bases. Knights & Riders are ok - two mounted figures side by side - but foot units will only ever be two figures wide.

To prove the point I've taken my old unfinished Battle of Skull Pass boxed set and tried to create two HotT armies from the figures therein. All the foot figures are on 20x20mm with a few mounted goblins on 25x50mm slotta bases.


You can see the few test prints within this post. Painted the same base colour as their figures with the addition of some flock and you would hardly notice. There is obviously some tolerance in the base sizes as some are a tighter fit than others. Where they are loose a simple blob of blutac solves the issue.

I think this idea gives you the best of both worlds. It allows you to create 28mm HotT units easily, whilst still leaving the original figures unmodified and available still to play Warhammer if you should choose.


I will see where this takes me over the coming months and try and produce some 25mm base versions too.

3 comments:

  1. It is a handy thing that 3d printer, these are so much better than my mounting board and blu tac efforts.
    Regards,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. With a bit of imagination the sky's the limit!

      Delete
  2. Things like this always make me kick myself for giving away all my collection of Warhammer figs! :(

    ReplyDelete