E-Mail:

If you enjoyed visiting this blog, please leave a comment or feel free to contact me by e-mail: timstanks@icloud.com

Search This Blog

Sunday 26 May 2013

28mm Zulu War - Rorke's Drift

Thanks to my lovely Wife, i received Warlord Games Rorkes Drift basic set for Xmas!

A lifelong fan of the film Zulu, I'd admired this kit since its release. So actually becoming the proud owner was like a dream come true.

As a small child I'd been taken to see the film at the cinema and from then on, that's all I was interested in. Our then neighbours, retired Government officials from Rhodesia, had connections with the South Wales Borderers and made us aware of the superb museum in Brecon which contains actual items from both this battle and Isandlwana. They also hold most of the VCs won on the day, well worth a visit. http://royalwelsh.org.uk/regimental-museum-of-the-royal-welsh.shtml

More recently I discovered that one of the Rorkes Drift VC winners is buried only 6 miles from where I live. Private Robert Jones was buried in Peterchurch after he took his own life, unable to cope with the nightmares he'd suffered since the action. I drive within yards of his grave every day on my way to and from work!

Just finished the resin barricades today. Very good quality items, easy to obtain a very good finish, really look the part.
The fortified wagon is a nice touch.
So far I've only started assembling the hospital building. An mdf item by 4Ground it goes together very well - shame the doors are an optional item? Still got to suss out the teddy bear fur for the thatch.
It comes with some Empress metal character figures (historical ones) and a lot or Warlord plastics.
I've also managed to get myself the Film Character figure set from our local model shop, which are nice figures and a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment