E-Mail:

If you enjoyed visiting this blog, please leave a comment or feel free to contact me by e-mail: timstanks@icloud.com

Search This Blog

Tuesday 9 June 2020

Team Yankee 3D Printed Mi-24 Hind Gunship - Part Two

I chose to finish the Hind to represent the Battlefront Team Yankee model as I liked the colour scheme.

To start with I gave the model an overall coat of PSC Dark Yellow from a Plastic Soldier Company rattle can. This primed it and gave me the base coat all in one go.

While I was at it, the main rotor was given a spray coat of black paint from a Pound shop rattle can.


The next step was to pick out the glazed areas in a GW turquoise blue with a shadow area around the outside edges using Army Painter Blue Wash.

The camouflage pattern was added using Battlefront’s own NATO Green and the underside of the fuselage and the wings were painted using a Revel Duck-Egg Blue.


Finally, details were picked out, such as the rotor tips in Yellow, the weapons in gunmetal etc.

I found some old Warlord Decals for the serial number and hand painted the Red Stars on the fuselage sides.

50 4x2mm rare earth magnets all the way from China in under 3 weeks for just £3!
Afterwards, the model was sprayed with Army Painter Satin Varnish followed by Testors Dullcote when dry.

For an aerial base I needed the imagination of my dear wife! She suggested the clear plastic barrel of a cheap Biro pen! Genius!!


I took the pen apart and printed up a circular base with a hole to accommodate the threaded end. I then sawed off the tip to open up the barrel so I could superglue a cut down steel flat headed nail to match the 4mm dia. Magnet I had mounted in the underside of the fuselage.


Another (smaller) cut down nail was super-glued into the rotor shaft on the upper fuselage to match the 4mm dia. Magnet I’d glued into the underside of the rotor.


This leaves me with a robust model for the tabletop that is easily broken down into three parts for storage.

Pride of place in the Team Yankee IKEA cabinet!

Now I need to find a Westland Lynx…..

No comments:

Post a Comment