E-Mail:

If you enjoyed visiting this blog, please leave a comment or feel free to contact me by e-mail: timstanks@icloud.com

Search This Blog

Tuesday 26 January 2021

12mm Scale 1967-73 Arab-Israeli Forces for CWC

 Whilst creating my late war armies it got me thinking about some of those post-war conflicts that used a mixture of WW2 and Cold-War equipment.


One that piqued my interest was the 1974 invasion of Cyprus.


A couple of my work colleagues from the 1980-90's had been serving at UK bases when this happened and had many interesting tales from their time spent as part of the UN peacekeeping force.


There weren't many armoured encounters, but those that happened involved some interesting vehicles. On the Turkish side there were M47's and M113's and on the Greek side a handful of T34/85's and some very old Marmon Herrington armoured cars. Could be an interesting excursion?


Similarly, the early India/Pakistan Wars with Centurions taking on M48s and Chaffee's, AMX13's, Shermans and of course the Vickers MBT.


But to start off I decided to go with the Arab/Israeli conflicts of 1967-73. 

Whilst the generic Arab army was made up of mainly straight forward late Soviet WW2 & Warpac vehicles from Bergman's 1-100 files the only unique addition was the 122mm SPG on a T34 chassis that I found elsewhere in Thingiverse.



The Israeli forces however, presented lots of opportunities to try out some simple 3D sculpting!


Obviously the M3 Half track is easy enough to come by, but it offers lots of variations you can add to your army. In my case a 90mm SPG (actually a Pak 40!), a ATGW version with SS10's (Taken from a BRDM1), 120mm Soltan Mortars (from a SDKFz251 mortar carrier) and a 20mm Anti-Aircraft Maxon Turret. All had additional storage added to the vehicle sides.

Other vehicles were found elsewhere on-line like the AMX13 and some were specifically IDF versions that had already been modified and uploaded i.e. replacement Diesel engined M48's and Centurions. I even found a couple of Fast Jets for air support!

Minifigs have provided infantry suitable for the two sides which one day I'll get around to basing......


9 comments:

  1. Tim, I’m begging you, with tears in my eyes, please stop, I can’t take it!!! Holy hell, you are kicking out battlegroups left and right, I can barely keep up reading, have no idea how your printing, cleaning, priming, painting, and putting decals on these damn things so fast, it’s absolutely amazing!

    Forgive me, I must ask:
    -how much did you spend on the printer and materials?
    -how long does it take to design/modify and print the vehicles?
    -once printed, how the hell are you painting them so fast???

    This is quite astounding, and this looks to be a true revolution in wargaming. This will put all the miniature makers out of business! Your stuff is amazing, I don’t see how they could compete. I don’t know how I can stay away from this much longer...

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah hah!! Firstly, let me confess. I've been building these up over the last few months but have had little time to blog until now.
      - The printer I use is a Creality Ender 5 Pro which cost me £280 (UK).
      - As a rough rule of thumb I take a .stl file from the internet and cut it up to create a multi-part kit in 3D Builder (comes free with Windows 10) this makes it easier to print and gives less cleaning up. This can take anything from 5-30 minutes to do. Then a model will take between 30-120 minutes to print out.
      - Then I cheat! I have Plastic Soldier Company primer sprays in US Drab and Dark Yellow and spray the vehicles. Then I add shadows using Army Painter Dark Tone followed by dry-brush of VAllejo Iraqi Sand. The decals came from QRF Miniatures at just £2 (UK) per pack and are excellent - I think they're really for 15mm but work just fine.

      All I can say is give it a whirl...you won't be dissappointed. If you need any help drop me a line.
      Tim

      Delete
    2. Tim,

      First, forgive me, I didn't say how beautiful those Israeli vehicles are, they're fantastic! Second, let me apologize, I'm not trying to spam you or cyberstalk you with all these comments, it's just that I find what you're doing with that 3D printer absolutely incredible.

      Thank you for sharing the details here, I greatly appreciate it. Seeing the way you're turning new armies out left and right is quite impressive. I'm sure I wouldn't be disappointed, just worried about opening a whole new can of worms; my appetite for wargaming is threatening to take over my life, and a 3D printer might just push me over the edge! ;)

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
    3. Hah hah! don't worry I forgive you!

      In these Covid time, a 3D Printer has proven to be a life saver. We're locked down so I can't get to a game shop and buy anything so I just keep printing out whatever I fancy painting next.

      What could be better? Go on get a printer, you know it makes sense.
      All the best
      Tim

      Delete
    4. Tim,

      You are definitely NOT helping things ;)
      I’ve got worries at each end of the spectrum: first, that I screw it up/can’t figure it out and end up with a very expensive paperweight, and on the other end, my wife and kids leave because I have got it working and now every square inch of the house is covered in freshly printed minis ;)

      Despite COVID I’ve somehow still managed to buy plenty, so I’m actually going the other route in terms of justifying the purchase of a 3D printer, that making my own will actually save me money over continuing to spend at this torrid pace ;)

      So, it’s happening, soon...

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  2. Hi Tim, great looking stuff, I’m impressed! I recently bought and ended 3 pro and I’m having really mixed results with it, are you using a profile you’ve downloaded? How easy is it to use 3D builder as you are describing?

    Sorry to be a pain.

    Keith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keith, thanks for commenting.

      I currently use Cura 4.4.1 as my slicer. I use the preset printer profile for the Creality Ender 5. I use a 0.4mm generic PLA nozzle and the only alterations I make to the standard saved profile settings are;- Temp 210'c instead of 200'c and whether to use supports of rafts etc.

      Initially I had a lot of problems with my printer from new. Eventually I tracked it down to the thermister being loose in the nozzle hotend block. I secured this and haven't looked back. I cant remember when I last had to set the bed level as it's as solid as a rock!

      If you've any more questions feel free to email me (address at top of blog)

      As for 3D Builder, whilst limited in functionality, I find it extremely intuative in use. There are some very good getting started videos on YouTube and once you get going the rest of the functions seem to fall into place.

      Hope this helps,
      Tim

      Delete
  3. Thanks Tim, I’ll drop you a line. Been laid up for a few weeks but looking to get back at it now!

    Regards

    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tim, I’ll drop you a line. Been laid up for a few weeks but looking to get back at it now!

    Regards

    Keith

    ReplyDelete