E-Mail:

If you enjoyed visiting this blog, please leave a comment or feel free to contact me by e-mail: timstanks@icloud.com

Search This Blog

Friday 29 January 2021

Victrix 12mm British Infantry – Part Two

 As promised, here's how I based the Victrix British Infantry figures.

Whilst my usual method of mounting my 10/12mm figures on printed bases incorporating a 7mm dice to indicate hits/lives left would probably suit Rapid Fire rules, I decided to base these more in line with those shown in the Rapid Fire Reloaded rule book - i.e. 2 per square base.


I printed a variety of different sized bases, all with a base thickness of 1mm and a raised lip around the outside edge of 2mm in height.


These I tried with the figures to find which worked the best and I decided on a 17x17mm for two infantry (standing or kneeling), 15x20mm for two prone figures and 20x20mm for crew served weapons and command bases (3 Figures).


I secured the figures to the base with superglue and then built up the base to the level of the raised lip using artist's acrylic paste. I painted these in Vallejo Game Camouflage Green which is a nice summer grass colour.


I wasn't happy with this finish for two reasons; firstly the acrylic paste settled too much when it dried leaving dips in the bases around the figures and secondly the green colour I had chosen didn't provide sufficient contrast for the figures to stand out when viewed on the tabletop.

Back to the drawing board.

I re-textured the bases using Vallejo White Pumice which solved the settling problem. Sufficient contrast was achieved by repainting with Vallejo Iraqi Sand, followed by a Brown Wash.


Once dry, the figures were sprayed with matt varnish on the only dry day we've had for about a month!


The final step was to apply a little Summer Green 2mm static grass.

I'm very impressed with these little figures and have treated myself to a couple of sprues of the German Infantry to match them, I'll post some pictures when I get them painted.

I can see sales of these figures and their associated AFVs getting a big boost when The Lardies finally publish Dave Brown's 'O'Group Rules later this year.

1 comment: