E-Mail:

If you enjoyed visiting this blog, please leave a comment or feel free to contact me by e-mail: timstanks@icloud.com

Search This Blog

Wednesday 23 March 2022

Strength & Honour - 2mm Ancients (3)

 I've tried as hard as my somewhat underpowered laptop will allow me, to create some 3D printable warband "mobs" for S&H, but have failed dismally.

I found I could create a random shape in Tinkercad that I could then convert to a "Cookie Cutter" in 3D Builder and tried to use it on a very large body of figures I created by combining the infantry blocks available on Thingiverse from Braedzero.

This proved to be a job too far and my laptop just came to a halt!!

What was I to do?

Brainwave time (well I think it was😁)

Instead of using my random shape to create a "Cookie Cutter", I simply added it to a 80x45mm base in 3D printer (base was 2mm deep and random shape stood 2mm proud of the base)

Printed this out and then, using PVA glue, added some Woodland Scenics - Fine Dark Brown Ballast.

This is made from quite uniform particles which give the impression of thousands of heads.

Having tried this out, it occured to me that if I left this step to the very end, I wouldn't need to paint the tops of the figure blocks, saving me time. I will simply add sand to the base edges, prime in white and spray the ground colours. Then I will pick out the random shape in Vallejo black or Dark Brown and finally glue on the ballast .... hopefully job done.

I'll let you know how I get on.

If successful, that will be my Gaulish army sorted.

2 comments:

  1. That works...I think it is actually better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jim. Certainly has that random look I was after!

      Delete