|The table as set up - with Si's awesome hand built terrain|
We rolled a D8 to deploy our troops - this meant that we could possibly end up with troops in the same building - and some did!
This first game was very short, sharp and bloody.
- The game commenced with a random artillery barrage - guess who got that? Yes you guessed right. My Russian platoon in building 7 got a pasting straight away
- Then whilst preparing to advance from building 7, the remaining Russians were wiped out by a German assault launched from building 6.
- Next the Russians who were sandwiched in building 3 between two German platoons - 1 in building 2 and the other in their base - were slowly brought under control by fire until they were ripe for a close assault to which they eventually succumbed.
- Wham Bam that was it, all over............oh dear!
|Russians & Germans face off between buildings 6 & 7|
|The suppressions start to build up...only a matter of time before the assault comes in.|
|The Germans and Russians exchange fire between buildings 2 & 3|
|Assaulted from the rear! Germans, from their base building, storm through the Russian position.|
The armour reinforcements (3 MkIVs + a sIG33 SPG for the Germans & 3 T34s + 2 SU76s for the opposition) were available via dice throws. A score of 5 or 6 activated a vehicle. If you chose to deploy any vehicles in isolation before you'd rolled 5 or 6 for all of them you lost the remaining AFVs. So you had a choice - wait until all were activated or deploy what you have activated when you needed them.
- Things started a bit better for me (the Germans) this time. Two Platoons in building 6 successfully pinned down Russians in building 7.
- Ultimately the Germans successfully assaulted building 7 with support from the sIG33 and the Infantry Gun in building 3. Though they took casualties in the process.
- The remaining Germans troops in building 3 exchanged fire with the Russian troops in building 2.
- The German SMG platoon, buoyed by their success in building 7, assaulted the first built up area in building 2.
- This succeeded and they progressed through the building until they were wiped out in the final room.
- This left both sides with little in the way of infantry in any condition to continue the fight. So we decided to call it a draw.
|Germans & Russians in buildings 6 & 7 exchange fire|
|The Infantry Gun in building 3 adds it's support|
|Finally the sIG33 lends a hand and the Germans assault building 7|
|Building 6 now cleared & occupied by the German SMG Platoon|
|The sIG33 & SMG Platoon now eye up their next victims|
|They don't know what's coming......|
|The Germans and Russians have each other pinned down in buildings 2 & 3|
|The start of the German assault on building 2 - started well but ultimately failure....|