E-Mail:

If you enjoyed visiting this blog, please leave a comment or feel free to contact me by e-mail: timstanks@icloud.com

Search This Blog

Monday 24 February 2020

15mm Chieftain - 3D Printing - Part Two

I promised some finished pictures after I'd painted my 3D Printed Chieftain so here we go....

The black over camouflage hasn't dried yet!
 First job was to spray the entire model with black matt primer. I used the product from Wilkos (a UK General Hardware Chain Store) which only costs £5.50 per can and gives a good even coat.

Next up I brush paint overall with a suitable green paint. I've used both Vallejo Brown Violet (70.887) and Russian Uniform Green (70.924) to simulate the UK's Olive Green base coat and both give good results (the Brown Violet being slightly darker).

This is applied with little thinning so the recesses retain their black primer and form areas of shadow.


The black camouflage stripes are added next in matt black (approx. ratio of 33% Black to 66% Olive Green). Then the barrel thermal cover is painted mid brown and the tracks light grey.

To provide depth, the areas around hinges, hatches, aerial bosses etc (on the Green parts of the tank) were given a wash using Army Painter Military Shade (a dark green wash). Similarly the thermal cover was washed in brown and the tracks in black Vallejo Wash.


When all was dry, a very light dry-brush of Vallejo Iraqi Sand was given over the entire model.


Finishing touches were provided by painting in forward facing headlights and all sight/vision blocks with a Citadel Turquoise Blue and the rear indicators in Orange. The Turret Mounted GPMG was painted Dark Grey.

I'm really pleased with the finished items and will be printing more. When I can find my 15mm spare bits box, I'll be adding a commander half-figure to the tank with the open cupola hatch!

1 comment:

  1. How nice! Now I have an incentive - rather finish painting my tanks))))

    ReplyDelete