E-Mail:

If you enjoyed visiting this blog, please leave a comment or feel free to contact me by e-mail: timstanks@icloud.com

Search This Blog

Friday 27 March 2020

Pikeman's Lament - Commanded Shot & Artillery Piece

Time to get back into my on/off 28mm ECW project for Pikeman's Lament Rules from Osprey.


So far I have finished a unit of 6 trotters (Cavalry) and 4 units of 6 Dragoons together with a motley selection of Pike & Shot figures.


Time to get on and finish those Pike & Shot off as complete units, add some more cavalry, some commanded shot and an artillery piece to the mix.


For the commanded shot I chose to use the "Firelock" armed figures in the starter set.


Sadly there is only one figure per sprue, so all have exactly the same pose😕. The only variation is available by a choice of two weapons (both at high port) and two hats.


To maximise the variation (bearing in mind some of these figures would go on multiple bases) I made sure the colours used were diverse!


The Artillery Piece is a Perry Miniatures set. Bought at Colours last year it has been hiding in my drawer ever since!


As with all Perry sculpts, this is a characterful piece that I think captures the feel of the ECW beautifully.


It's also another excuse to use a variety of colours to make the figures come alive!


All were painted using Citadel Contrast Paints followed by a coat of Army Painter Satin Varnish and then a coat of Testors Dullcote.

I finally tracked some of this highly regarded matt varnish down at Firestorm Games. It comes in a ridiculously small aerosol can at an equally ridiculous price of £7!! And to be honest I can't say that I was particularly impressed.


The first time I used it it dried with a slight sheen - just like the Army Painter varnish does from time to time. This is a different formulation apparently, to suit EU laws so maybe it was never going to be as good as I'd heard it was on the internet?

No comments:

Post a Comment