E-Mail:

If you enjoyed visiting this blog, please leave a comment or feel free to contact me by e-mail: timstanks@icloud.com

Search This Blog

Monday 25 January 2021

12mm 3D Printed Terrain Pieces

 I thought I'd have a go at creating some more terrain pieces to use with my growing 12mm collection.

One thing I've always wanted to do is create the hedges of the Bocage for Normandy games, but I've always been put off by the "hard work"!

I've been interested in solid resin hedges that I've seen on line, but the cost would prove prohibitive. So with my trusty 3B Builder software and some "Bush" files I borrowed from Thingiverse, I'bve set about creating my own. I decided early on to comprimise on the size of the hedges...to make bocage to 12mm scale would mean longer printing time, more storage space and material costs than if I kept them to a more reasonable size...just taller than the figures at 16mm approx.

So I've produced;-

  • Straight and 90' angled sections 16mm high
  • Straight sections with gates
  • Straight and 90' angled sections 16mm high with trees growing amongst the bushes

Once printed, these are quickly primed with matt white spray, and then finished using Contrast paints, before varnishing.


Quick and simple, and very cheap!


I've also added some haystacks, brick walls and a rather nice bridge I found on Thingiverse (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2157940) scaled down to 12mm.


Finally, for a bit of fun, I also had a go at creating a dug-in Panther turret of the type found in the Gothic Line in Italy.


4 comments:

  1. Those terrain items look fantastic, as do the printed M-7 and your German infantry (looks like the troops are metal but the stand is printed?).

    I’m not particularly technical, but your accomplishments with the the 3D Printer are making it harder and harder to resist the siren’s call.

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jack,

      German infantry are from Magister Millitum bought years ago but upgraded to my printed bases for BKCII.

      I wouldn't consider myself particularly technical either! However get yourself a decent 3D printer like a Creality Ender 3 or 5 with a heated bed (a must for small minis) and you'll soon be over-run with small models to paint!

      Delete
    2. Well, you definitely seem to have cracked the code! And that’s what I’m worried about, I’m already overrun with models to paint, this would completely drown me!

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  2. Great job!
    I always like gaming tables with lots of small details

    ReplyDelete