E-Mail:

If you enjoyed visiting this blog, please leave a comment or feel free to contact me by e-mail: timstanks@icloud.com

Search This Blog

Wednesday 22 November 2017

Rommel 2mm

What to do about hills/mountains for my Rommel set-up?

Following the same thought process as I have with my other terrain features, I decided that these would be symbolic terrain markers, rather than large terrain features.

My first thought had been to buy Hexon single hex mountains or pulverised ground, but these are 100mm across and would completely fill my grid squares. To boot they would look enormous against my 2mm miniatures. So it looked like I would have to come up with a home produced alternative.
What I’ve settled upon are 60mm diameter hills that can be placed in a 100mm (4”) grid square to indicate high ground is present, but still allow bases of miniatures to be placed on or around them.

Step 1: Attach a rough circle of 5mm foam board to a laser cut 60mm mdf base.
Step 2 & 3: Having carefully trimmed the edge of the foam board with a scalpel to produce an incline, smooth over the edges and texture the top of the hill with artist’s acrylic paste. Then, when dry, coat with PVA and scatter sand over the entire hill.
Step 4: Once fully dry, spray hill with Army Painter Leather Brown
Step 5: Roughly dry brush hill with Vallejo Game Colour -Camouflage Green. Followed by a light dry-brushing of Yellow. Finally, a couple of coats of varnish to seal the surface.

These should suffice for my needs and won’t take up too much room to store either.

1 comment:

  1. Neat. I'm currently making hex hills for Rommel. I've done a few games using squares on a desert mat, but on 16 November plan to try a scenario using my hex mat which looks like the same manufacturer as your square mat (I bought it second hand so don't know the brand).

    However I'm using 15mm scale figures and models. I have a friend who has a lot of 6mm stuff though.

    ReplyDelete